2017 UPDATE AVAILABLE WITH A LIST OF VEGAN OPTIONS: CLICK HERE
Oktoberfest is less then 24 hours away – so get ready!
As promised I will reveal the results of my “Tent-by-Tent-Research”.
I did email most of the Oktoberfest tents and asked them what they offer for vegans. I know they are busy with last minute preps and then some “crazy” requests like mine comes in. I have been surprised how many nice replies I did get – THANK YOU Wiesnwirte!!
And we have a tie for the top-spot – two tents offer explicitly marked vegan dishes:
- Herzkasperl – a tent on the Oide Wiesn (old part) is offering a whole vegan section of traditional bavarian Okotberfest dishes – veganized! You can choose between: carrot-orange-ginger soup; lamb’s lettuce with sesame-dressing, Falafel,vegetables in beer dough and a vegan “yoghurt”-dip; soja medallions with spaetzle and chanterelles in vegan cream sauce, served with almond broccoli and cranberries; homemade “cheess-spaetzle” with roasted onions and a green salad; Apfelkücherl (apple-rings fried in a sweet beer-dough) with homemade vanilla ice-cream. I for sure will try them all ( probabaly more then once), so follow my Twitter to see live-pictures
- Ammer Hühnerbraterei (a tent specialized in chickens – but at least organic ones and supporting the slow food movement) when asked by email if they offer something for vegans they immediatly came back to me : “of course we do …!”. The vegan dishes are clearly marked as vegan on their menu: Bio-Caesers Salad (vegan option available); organic chicken-fricassee with rice; organic plum-sorbet with mixed fruits. I think this is just so awesome for a chicken-joint!
Other tents which came back with offers for vegans – although not explicitly marked on the menu, and I cannot guarantee for – include:
- Kuffler’s Weinzelt: They offer mixed mediterranean vegetables (grilgliata di verdure), with grilled baby-artichokes, red pappers, zucchini, fennel, served lukewarm with olive-oil, herbs and a baguette
- Kalbs-Kuchl: Lamb’s lettuce with pear-cider dressing, cherry-tomtatos and croutons (I will ask them onsite to verify if those croutons are made with plant- based oil)
- Wirtshaus Schichtl: Salad with chanterelles; Backed- potatoes (without the dip)
- Bodo’s Cafezelt: This tent is a “Coffee & Cake Tent” and I was hoping for some vegan sweets, but… all they can offer is a fruit salad ( which you need to ask for explicitly) . Well, this anyways is much healthier:)
Several other tents did just send me their menu, or came back with the standard ” well, you can have a pretzel or some salad or ask the waiter.” ( Believe me those waiters are much too busy, as is the kitchen, so please do not expect any great support here)
If you do not make it to one of the vegan-lovers or vegan-friendly tents above, here is what you can eat to save you from starvation – and please eat a lot, as the bavarian beer is strong: pretzel, radish (Radi and Radieschen), salad without any dressing.
Also they may sound or look tempting, potato-salad, cabbage-salad, red cabbage salad, mixed salads with dressing and all soups normally contain animal stock or other non-vegan ingredients, many of the tents did confirm this to me. But the Hippodrom thinks that their potato soup may be vegan, but they are not sure (I will check it out on-site and let you know).
If you have a pre-booked fixed evening reservation, some tents offer you pre-selected dishes and you can ask if they can do something special for you.
Normally it is nearly impossible to get a table at one of the tents last minute – you have to book months in advance ( and I mean like February…). So just imagine how delighted I was when yesterday I did receive a call from a friend, inviting me to join her at Ochsenbraterei for Sunday evening. This is one of the tents which offered me to arrange something special – in this case a platter of vegetables. I did take up their offer and are looking forward to sunday evening. I for sure will twitter an update.
A very nice offer came back from Fischer-Vroni and their chef de cuisine, Mr Haas: “Just let us know once you are here – Mr Haas will cook something vegan especially for you!” – WOWW – That is great!!
Now: Get ready for the Wiesn- O’zapft Is – Enjoy the Oktoberfest!